Step Up Term 1 (7 week program)
Dates: Sunday 7 Feb - Sunday 21 March
Location: TBC closer to the date
Are you ready to take the Next Step in your Judaism?
This popular, interactive program empowers young Jewish Australians to become leaders in their community who are guided by Jewish values of Tikkun Olam (repairing the world), Tzedakah (justice) and Chessed (kindness) to create positive change in the world.
Young people are growing up in an increasingly complex and interconnected world. They can see, perhaps more than any generation that has come before them, the challenges and the opportunities that lie ahead. By using the power of education, we can equip young people with the knowledge and passion to help solve the social justice challenges of today and tomorrow.
Under the watchful eye of our experienced and dynamic facilitators, over 7 weeks we'll take your child on a multi-faceted deep dive into the most pressing social justice issues of today. Topics include:
Social justice challenges facing the world today
- Participants will learn about the some of the most pressing social challenges facing the world today. Exploring the connection between Bnei Mitzvah and accountability, participants will discuss their role as Jewish adults in taking responsibility for social justice issues in the world today.
The poverty cycle
- Exploring the causes of social inequality, participants will discover the complexities of poverty. Specifically analysing the poverty cycle, participants will connect the dots between extreme poverty and the Jewish value of Tzedakah.
- Participants will discuss the answer to the question ‘who are we responsible for?’ Discovering the similarities between the plight of refugees and our own Jewish history, participants will be joined by a guest speaker who will share their story of coming to Australia as a refugee.
- Participants will learn about the historical disadvantage of Indigenous Australians, and what it means to be an ally for Aboriginal and Torres Strait communities.
Leadership and action
- Participants will grapple with what the true definition of leadership is, equipping participants with the necessary tools to create their own plan of action that can be carried out.
Changing the world, where do I start?
- Participants will gain a broader understanding of innovative ways to solve the issue of their choice. Through exploring an issue that they are passionate about, participants will consider and prepare actionable strategies on how to effect positive social change.
What are you waiting for? If you're the parent or guardian of a Jewish teen who is becoming B'nei Mitzvah, sign up today!